Monday, November 25, 2013


We have been super busy this weekend!  
Most everything is still in progress but we are getting soooo much closer to completion!  

Here is what we've been up to over the last week...

below is the before picture of our office/mud room...
 We tore out the carpet as soon as we moved in hoping that beautiful hard wood would be underneath but boy were we wrong.  What we found was a horrible laminate probably full of asbestos so we wanted to cover it as soon as possible.  
Hubby was able to get his hands on incredibly durable floor tiles for an amazing price!  I spent the last week removing the fish wallpaper border then painted on Friday.  Hubby came home Friday night with the carpet tiles and installed them in an hour!  
Instant gratification!
 All that is left to finish in this room is:
*replace light
*scrape and paint all trim

 Last week I tackled the craft room... I painted, moved things around and added a slip covered sofa from World Market.
  Now it serves as a craft room and tv room...great space for the girls and their friends.
They still have plenty of space to be "artistic" aka messy!
Still to do:
*install new insulated cordless roman shades (in the mail)
*scrape and paint all trim

 Unfortunately, our chimney is in much need of repair.  
After getting a bid from a local company we decided that we should look at doing it ourselves.  Hubby got on the phone with friends and was able to find a mason contact that could assist hubby with the repair...because of this we are able to save thousands!  
This weekend hubby put up the scaffolding and removed all the brick and got it prepped.  
Next weekend it should be all fixed and usable!

 We are slowly making progress in the kitchen...

here is the before 
(not bad but not our style)..

peek at what we've been doing...

 We have removed all the dark tile, removed the upper cabinets in favor of open shelving, added the pot filler, added new lighting over shelves, added cabinet hardware, replaced all ceiling lights, and painted over the dark red.
Still to do:
*tile the entire wall with white subway tile
*replace laminate counters with concrete
*finish painting the window frames and trim
*replace electric stove top with a 5 burner gas top

On to the living room...
Sunday I added a couple more coats of primer to the left built-in and brick.  I will hopefully tackle the built-in doors this week and have the left side completely finished.

Hubby and I also started to tile the hearth...we will finish by grouting tonight!

Still to do:
*create wood mantel piece to cover top
*paint right built-in and finish left
*scrape and paint surrounding trim
*add wood burning insert

Hubby and I have had a lot of fun working on this house together!  
We have been very fortunate to be able to make this into our home that reflects our style!


No comments:

Post a Comment